Monday, January 25, 2010

Life

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants (Deut 30:19)

About 40 years ago, my sister was 5 months pregnant when she started to spot and have bleeding problem. She went to the hospital where she went into labor and gave birth to baby girl. The baby struggled to live but died a few minutes later.

I will always remember my mother when she returned from the hospital. My mom held the baby in her hand and recalled how beautiful she was. She had all her fingers and toes. She even had a clef in her chin just like my sister. My mother kissed her before she put her down.

I was reminded of that story this weekend when a similar event happened to one of our church members. The circumstances was almost exactly the same only this time, in the 5th month, the tragedy was doubled because twin girls were born and died. I understand that the mother and maybe others held the babies for just a moment before giving them lovingly into the hands of God.

On the 37th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, this past Friday, 100,000 people marched for life. Over 50 million babies have been killed over the last 37 years in the name of pro-choice. That’s 50 million babies who never saw the light of day, never were held by a loving parent or grandparent and never had a chance for life.

Psalm 139:13-16 states

For You formed my inward parts;
         You covered me in my mother’s womb.
I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
         Marvelous are Your works,
         And that my soul knows very well.
My frame was not hidden from You,
         When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
         And in Your book they all were written,
         The days fashioned for me,
         When as yet there were none of them.

You can read the entire Psalm 139 here.

My sister was very sad for awhile but the following year, she gave birth to a son. A year later another son was born and today, she has a wonderful granddaughter. Life is a good thing.

In time, my friends will recover from this tragedy and may even try again to have more children. The hurt will remain for awhile but as the Word says Joy comes in the morning. With our faith and trust in Jesus Christ, life will go on. And for a brief moment frozen forever in time, life was held and loved and blessed.

Choose Life… and that’s the word of The Day

No comments:

Post a Comment