Friday, January 15, 2010

Why would God Die for Me?

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Rom 5:8 NKJV)

The normal answer to that question is that God loves me and that’s why He died for me. But, do I fully understand what that means? He loves me. That’s great. Does He love me like one loves ice cream? I love ice cream yet I don’t eat it everyday. No, He doesn’t love me like ice cream.

I’m not sure I understand how much God loves me. What was His purpose in loving me? He created me knowing that I would love myself much more that I would love Him. Yet, He clearly states that I am to love Him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. But, I love me more. I guess by definition that makes me a sinner. I would need help in order to get me to love God more.

image

He died for me because in my present state of self-love, I would forever remain ungodly and there is no place in heaven for the ungodly. In my self-righteousness and smug satisfaction of the human goodness of my life, I would be doomed to hell forever. God didn’t want that for me. He wanted me to be with Him in heaven. But, the cost wouldn’t be mine but His. There was nothing good in me that would satisfy Him. Nothing I could do; nothing I sacrifice would suffice God. For I was ungodly and Jesus Christ still died for me. He gave everything just to have me; to have me with Him in His kingdom. He chose me, I didn’t choose Him. He drew me near to Him and revealed Himself to me and beckoned me to come. I understood that I could never be godly on my own.

So, I answered His call and surrendered my life to Him. I was still ungodly in my flesh, but now, I was alive and well in my spirit. As the day goes by, He brings me closer and closer to Him. He leads me to more and more of His grace and mercy. He now has a purpose for my life. A purpose that will bring glory and honor to Jesus Christ. I do these things for Christ not out of my love for reward but out of my love for Christ.

Christ died for the ungodly so that one day the ungodly ones who are born-again, can be godly in the spirit despite still being ungodly in the flesh. The more one lives by the spirit, the more one puts to death the acts of the flesh.

One may never know just how much God loves them until they get to heaven and see Jesus face to face. What an amazing love there is in Jesus.

image

Christ died for all men and suffered the punishment for everyone knowing full well that most people would reject His sacrifice for redemption. But, He did it anyway! He did it for me. Billions will reject Him and yet He still died for them.

Why did He do it? He did it because He loved me more than I loved myself. I still can’t comprehend it.

Amazing grace… and that’s the word of The Day

No comments:

Post a Comment